Friday 15 June 2012

Back in Black

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had decided to use black cabinetry for our new kitchen - quite a major turnaround as I had originally planned on white! This all came about after I saw the kitchen that O+V used in their 4-Room Cottage at Kelvin Grove (which recently won the Brisbane Regional Architecture Awards, House of the Year.) Well done guys.

Image via www.bleusope.com.au


Anyway, after doing some more "design stalking" black kitchens seem to be popping up everywhere. Just check out some of these kitchens that were shortlisted for the Australian Interior Design Awards.








All images via: australianinteriordesignawards.com

Will these kitchens date or are they timeless? Perhaps white is the safer option, but kitchens with pops of black are certainly catching my attention at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. The black/white combo certainly seems "in" at the moment.Have you seen A-M drooling over the Hamptons version? Looks great with marble too. We are going white cupboards, white vj walls and marble for our kitchen with lots of bits of colour around. I am not a black person though as with all my colour it would make my house look like a liquorice allsort!I do really like that O+V 4 room house and the stark white walls too.I think as long as you choose timeless bench tops if you get sick of the black joinery it is easy to change cupboard doors so go for it. mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel - the idea for the kitchen is to use black door/drawer fronts paired with a "white" marble benchtop. Using the "timeless" white subway tiles as a splashback - but yes there will still be lots of white on walls/ceilings so it won't be too dark and heavy. The timber floors will also add a bit of warmth. I guess it will be a contemporary version of a Hamptons-style kitchen. I'll post the kitchen design as soon as it's available.

    ReplyDelete