Sheesh - I'm still getting over yesterday's marathon 4 hour site meeting. There was certainly a lot to discuss which has resulted in several variations of one kind or another.
As you can see from the above image the roof sheets have been installed along with some of the gutters, but the roofers went MIA so the remainder of the work is still yet to be completed. Mmmm........ is all I can say about that.
The focus this week was completing a few jobs in the old cottage, one of which was this new opening between the dining and sitting rooms. It has made the biggest impact and has opened up the views from the front to the rear of the site:
|New opening between Dining and Sitting Room|
|Looking out towards the street|
The doorway is dressed with pine boards which will be painted later on and includes a decorative semi circle cut-out (which I just love) that also features in various other locations throughout the house.
We are currently waiting for the new timber windows and doors to be fabricated so as soon as they are installed, the builder can commence cladding - at which point we will be at lock-up stage. So while we are waiting for that to happen, the plumber and electrician will make a start on the rough-in.
This weekend I need to lock-in the pendant lighting so that they can be ordered - I've found this exercise quite difficult to be perfectly honest and that's why I'm thinking about installing bare bulb pendants because they are inexpensive but still look good. They can remain in place if and/or when I decide on something else. The rest of the lighting decisions were done by the architect - uplights, downlights, spot lights, wall lights, task lights, mood lights, concealed lights - far too much for me to consider with only limited time away from the kids.
Yesterday we also discovered that the shower sets that were originally specified many months ago are no longer available, so I've been frantically looking for a replacement so that the plumbing rough-in can get done. It couldn't have happened at a worse time - school holidays have just commenced which means shopping with four smalls - Great!
So now that all the frames are up and roof is on, the rooms have taken on a whole new feel - quite different compared to seeing them drawn on paper. This photo was taken from the new section looking back towards the front door:
As you can see the stairs are yet to go in, but it shows you the extent of the change in levels (only four treads) between the existing cottage and the new addition. To make it easier to follow, I've done a quick sketch-up:
Over in the boys' bedrooms, the ceilings are pitched and it sort of feels like being in giant teepee. The bedrooms are of average size however the soaring ceilings increase the volume so they seem much, much larger:
There have been a couple of changes in here with regards to the bulkheads and shelving and overall I think the amenity of the shared bedrooms will work out really well.
I'm off to choose the lighting and plumbing fixtures now - see you soon with another renovation update. Have a great weekend.