Monday 11 March 2013

What's Cooking?

All is quiet on the renovation front - still waiting for the builders' quotes to come in. I had another look at the inside of the house today. As it's been rented out since we bought it I have only been inside once or twice. It's a lot worse than I remember it, but in saying that, it will still clean up well. I'll post some photos shortly so you can see for yourselves. 

So while I sit and wait in angst hoping that the quotes are going to come in on budget, and added to the fact that it has done nothing but rain over the past few weeks, there hasn't been a lot to do around here except cook (and eat). 

Chocolate Frangipane Plum Tart
And when I was done with chocolate, citrus seemed to fit the bill:

Lemon Tart
These bliss balls have been making a regular appearance in the kids' lunch boxes (no sugar or nuts.)


So too have these lightly spiced Pumpkin Muffins:


Warm desserts (with ice cream) are starting to feature more and more as the weather starts to cool:

Apricot and Almond Crumble
As well as home-made bread:

Cheese and Onion Pull Apart
That is fabulous with a bowl of nourishing soup:

Roast Tomato Soup with Pesto

Luckily I've got a kitchen-hand to help out.


Chasing after four energetic boys is usually enough exercise to burn off all those calories, but when there is any spare time leftover, I like to get out on my bicycle. Yes, my vintage-inspired bike that I spoke of almost 12 months ago finally arrived all the way from Gothenberg, Sweden just a couple of weeks ago.


See you shortly with some pics of our renovator's dream house (which I'm sure will make your toes curl.)

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous gorgeous bike Caroline, is there room for the baby as well? My bike can pull a chariot but does not have the fittings for a seat unfortunately. Then again, a good excuse to get out childless every now and again. And the food shots are fantastic, you are mastering that camera. mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got a two-seater chariot, although I don't know if I'm quite fit enough to pull it along with two smalls just yet. Might try the child seat first. xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos. all that scrumptious food.
    What recipe do you use for the cheese and onion pull apart loaf?
    Your bike is a beauty. the basket on the front is perfect.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zara, I can't remember where the original recipe came from, but I've adapted it for a Thermomix. I've posted it at www.whatcarolinecooked.blogspot.com.au

      Delete
  3. Wow Carolne, great shots I think you are a food sylist in the making. Any chance of the bliss ball recipe? Trying to cut out sugar in lunch boxes.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, yes they are over on my other blog www.whatcarolinecooked.blogspot.com.au. The recipe has been adapted for a Thermomix, but you can use any good blender to make them up.

      Delete
  4. OMG Caroline those cakes and desserts look soooooo good !!! well im the opposite with reno's time etc so please send some over our way ... YUM

    Loving the bicycle its gorgeous and that pic should go in a frame for the new house...

    Cant wait to see the pics... elbow grease and some TLC will bring it up beautifully im sure :)

    HLQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house could not possibly be worse than ours was/is! At least you're renovating BEFORE moving into it. Wise move ;-)

    The bike is gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must get over to your other blog and make at least those balls if not every single desert!

    Your photos are gorgeous.
    And I love your helper...no pants but with a hat is definitely the way to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have another blog? How did I not know this? Yum!, and you have a thermomix too....it's on my must have list. Desperate for one of those babies!

    ReplyDelete