Friday 1 June 2012

Lost in Space


The average new dwelling in Australia is the biggest in the world, while at the same time, the number of people living in our houses has fallen.  So if we measure how much space we have each in square metres per person, it averages at 100 square metres. Does that seem like too much?

So how much space do we really need? I was listening to a program recently where Stuart Harrison (a Melbourne-based architect and the author of Forty Six Square Metres of Land Doesn't Normally Become a House) suggested that 40 square metres per person should be sufficient, provided that there is adequate outdoor space as well.

So if I take this advice into context for my situation, I would need a house of about 240 square metres. I estimate that our total living space will be about 195 square metres, which falls somewhat short of the suggested amount. Does this mean our house will be inadequate? I'll have to let you know.



Stuart's book is a very interesting read - it showcases 45 examples of space-challenging housing and demonstrates that bigger is not necessarily better.

No comments:

Post a Comment