Saturday 21 September 2013

Reno - Week 15


Sheesh -  I'm still getting over yesterday's marathon 4 hour site meeting. There was certainly a lot to discuss which has resulted in several variations of one kind or another.

As you can see from the above image the roof sheets have been installed along with some of the gutters, but the roofers went MIA so the remainder of the work is still yet to be completed.  Mmmm........ is all I can say about that.

The focus this week was completing a few jobs in the old cottage, one of which was this new opening between the dining and sitting rooms. It has made the biggest impact and has opened up the views from the front to the rear of the site:

New opening between Dining and Sitting Room
Looking out towards the street

Look familiar?


The doorway is dressed with pine boards which will be painted later on and includes a decorative semi circle cut-out (which I just love) that also features in various other locations throughout the house.

We are currently waiting for the new timber windows and doors to be fabricated so as soon as they are installed, the builder can commence cladding - at which point we will be at lock-up stage. So while we are waiting for that to happen, the plumber and electrician will make a start on the rough-in.

This weekend I need to lock-in the pendant lighting so that they can be ordered - I've found this exercise quite difficult to be perfectly honest and that's why I'm thinking about installing bare bulb pendants because they are inexpensive but still look good. They can remain in place if and/or when I decide on something else. The rest of the lighting decisions were done by the architect - uplights, downlights, spot lights, wall lights, task lights, mood lights, concealed lights - far too much for me to consider with only limited time away from the kids. 

Yesterday we also discovered that the shower sets that were originally specified many months ago are no longer available, so I've been frantically looking for a replacement so that the plumbing rough-in can get done. It couldn't have happened at a worse time - school holidays have just commenced which means shopping with four smalls - Great!

So now that all the frames are up and roof is on, the rooms have taken on a whole new feel - quite different compared to seeing them drawn on paper. This photo was taken from the new section looking back towards the front door:



As you can see the stairs are yet to go in, but it shows you the extent of the change in levels (only four treads) between the existing cottage and the new addition. To make it easier to follow, I've done a quick sketch-up:




Over in the boys' bedrooms, the ceilings are pitched and it sort of feels like being in giant teepee. The bedrooms are of average size however the soaring ceilings increase the volume so they seem much, much larger:




There have been a couple of changes in here with regards to the bulkheads and shelving and overall I think the amenity of the shared bedrooms will work out really well. 

I'm off to choose the lighting and plumbing fixtures now - see you soon with another renovation update. Have a great weekend.

18 comments:

  1. Good luck on your shopping adventures with the boys in tow! I love how their bedrooms are turning out. What a great space with the built-in beds and storage! I'm also finding it tricky to lock in my pendant lights for the kitchen at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't overly concerned with the lighting schedule initially - I just wanted to get the tender out thinking I had heaps of time to select something. But all of a sudden we're at the point where the lights need to be ordered and I've become so indecisive. As they can be quite costly the decision needs to be carefully thought through. xx

      Delete
  2. You need to update your profile Caroline to say that you are knee deep in renovations instead of 'about to start' ;-) Good decision with the lighting I think - it'll take the pressure off to lock in a decision now. It's all coming along now!

    Cheers, Col

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colin - good point! We're almost at the stage where all the joinery and fixtures are ready to go in (about the same time when I start to panic about the installation and quality of finish.) I am known to be extremely fussy. xx

      Delete
  3. I think the bare bulbs are a great idea...definitely takes the pressure off and leaves you (and the boys) some time to sort out the shower.
    It all looks great.
    I can't believe you are already talking about lock up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! However despite that we are forging ahead at a rate of knots, it will probably be unlikely that the house will be finished pre XMAS. I am keeping my fingers crossed though. xx

      Delete
  4. I'm liking all the bespoke joinery and built-ins. Not long to go now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of little details throughout, and whilst inexpensive to construct they make the house unique. As for timing, see above :( xx

      Delete
  5. Wow-it's all looking great! I like the idea of the bare bulbs-nothing worse than being forced into a decision you aren't entirely happy with. If and when you find what you want you can update later. Good luck shopping with the four boys! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts precisely. As for shopping with the boys - I think my babysitter will be getting a few extra hours this week. xx

      Delete
  6. It's all coming along, the boys will love their bedrooms. Have a peaceful school holiday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I hope they will be more content living in a house with a yard (in contrast to apartment living which has really tested all of us.) xx

      Delete
  7. Wow that four hour site meeting sounds intense. We had one that lasted about 2 hours for some big issues in the kitchen and that was bad enough. Lighting can be tricky as the choices are overwhelming, for some reason finding our pendants was easy as they were the only ones we agreed on! Think you are on a winner with the bulbs, gives you some breathing space to really decide what you want. Love the semi circle door cutouts, think they are going to be gorgeous painted up (you know I have a thing for curves). All in all your progress is fantastic, now it starts to get more fun with all the internal details going in. Watch those tradies with all your internals, we have had a scratched fridge, 3 drawers damaged and back to the kitchen company and my god, putting their drinks/tools all over my unsealed marble bench. Enough to give a girl a nervous breakdown! mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally meet with the builder at least once a week (control freak!) but we have regular fortnightly meetings with the architect too. We all love your pendants Mel. We have them planned in 3 rooms - sitting, dining and entry which are all adjoining. My issue is do we get same/similar for all 3 rooms or have something different in each? I've put the decision in the 'too hard' basket for now. Good God about the marble - I'll be sure to have mine covered in bubble wrap with a 'DO NOT TOUCH' sign put up after it's installed. xx

      Delete
  8. I am super excited to see this section finished! I love built in furniture and had to give mine up ( for the shutters ~ as ya do), I just think it looks so neat and tidy! Looking good!
    tracy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you say that with tongue in cheek? We are way off from being finished - in fact it will probably be early next year before can actually move in. With all the built-in furniture we really don't have that much to move when the time comes - bonus. xx

      Delete
  9. I just KNOW you are going to love FOUR separate bedrooms. (Only another Mum of 4 can relate) Loving all of the pic views, it's looking great, you'll be in before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. “…the roof sheets have been installed along with some of the gutters…” – this was a good update. It’s just disappointing that your contractors didn’t show up to finish the remaining work. But house construction really has its ups and downs. Maybe this is one of it. Anyhow, how’s your cottage now?

    Joanne @ TedricksRoofing.com

    ReplyDelete