Wednesday 9 January 2013

Healthy Apricot Chicken Recipe

Dinner time is usually witching hour at our place. There are generally four very hungry boys desperate to eat, so to stop them from snacking (and annoying me at the same time) I find myself rushing to get their meal on the table. And when Mark is away on business, it's hard to keep them from being under my feet while I'm doing so.

As most of our meals are made from scratch, I've decided to get more organised in the kitchen. I've been making meals and freezing them for those nights where there is either a) nothing to cook, b) when Mark is away, or c) I couldn't be bothered. I'm hoping this will make my life a little easier.

I recently made this healthy version of Apricot Chicken which was so good that it's sure to be on high rotation over here while apricots are still in season. Apricot nectar, which often contains artificial colours, has been replaced with fresh apricots which I pureed in my Thermomix and I used fresh onions and chicken stock instead of the usual packet of French Onion Soup which is full of additives including MSG.


For anyone interested, here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 brown onions, sliced
500g chicken breast or thigh fillets, cubed
6 apricots, stones removed and pureed
1 cup chicken stock
2 heaped tablespoons of apricot jam
cracked black pepper
coriander or parsley to garnish

Method:

  1. Heat pan over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté onions until softened.
  2. Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown.
  3. Pour a little stock into the pan to deglaze and give it a good stir.
  4. Pour in the remaining stock, apricot puree, and apricot jam.
  5. Add some freshly ground black pepper and simmer until cooked through and sauce has thickened.
  6. Garnish with coriander and serve with your choice of either mashed potato, rice, pasta, quinoa or couscous and some steamed vegetables.

Oh, and I must thank Caitlin from Mother Down Under for her icy pole recipe - the kids loved them, and they are especially good in this oh so hot weather we're having at the moment.











4 comments:

  1. I was hoping that you would post the recipe for the chicken.

    And thanks for the shout out!
    I am glad the boys liked them!
    I actually just finished one of the popsicles...I feel cooler already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious but unfortunately a no go over here for either recipe as both too high in salicylates for us. We eat alot of tinned pears over here as they are one of the few low sal fruits and I save the syrup and make icypoles out of this, no nutritional value but no additives so not bad for an icypole really. mel x ps we just found out the certifier we were hoping would get our plans finished by the end of jan is on holidays until the 29th! Bummer. Builder is not phased though thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic recipe thankyou so much, I'm definitely doing my best to cut out as many additives as possible, so great to have other like minded mums to share ideas with. The magic T word, oh how I want one, renovations first though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that this site is very informative, interesting and very well written. keep up the nice high quality writing. Luxury Bedding USA

    ReplyDelete