Wednesday 25 July 2012

Take a seat - Dining Chairs

We rarely use our dining table, as the dining room in our apartment is carpeted - not an ideal situation when you have four kids, particularly if you intend getting your bond back at the end of a tenancy.

In any case, our current dining chairs are awfully uncomfortable, especially when you've been sitting on them for a while. I only worked this out after they'd been purchased and were used for our first dinner party, so the prerequisite for the next ones are:

a) comfortable to sit on
b) easy to clean
c) stylish
d) good quality

My plan for the new house is to have a long timber dining table to seat 8-10 people comfortably. As for the chairs, I still haven't made up my mind, but here are the contenders so far.

These ones have been a favourite of mine for some time now:

Hans Wegner Wishbone Chair

These dining chair from Jardan could be a bit of fun - available in both leather and fabric (but there is no way I would ever have fabric upholstery dining chairs while my children are still living at home.)

Jardan Sunday Chair

You can't go past the simplicity of good Scandinavian design, and these chairs by AA are also a favourite:

Alvar Aalto 611 Chair with Black Webbing



Alvar Aalto Chair 66


You will have gathered by now that I am a big fan of C & R Eames. I like these molded plywood chairs, but I fear the kids will scratch them.

Eames Molded Plywood Dining Chair with Metal Base
Eames Molded Plywood Dining Chair with Wood Base





I've alway loved this one (I have one as an office chair) and I originally had plans to use these for the dining room:



DSW Dining Chair




Oh, but they are also nice in black too ....






2 comments:

  1. We have the dsw's in white and I love them. They are easy to clean,comfy and even the booster seat fits on. I think they are slightly lower than some other chairs which is tricky for kids and we have an old silky oak table with ours. I have to say the Chair 66 looks pretty cool too. melx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These chairs are fabulous! They're very stylish and I know they can be of great help in designing your dining area. You have to make sure that your choice will be durable and strong. It should also blend in with hue that you'll have in your dining room. It'll be easy for you to choose the right chairs if you've already decided for the hue and design of the room. :)

    BlairGCRoofing.com

    ReplyDelete